NYS CDL Drivers And the “S” endorsement


NYS school bus drivers with a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) must have an “S” endorsement as per NY DMV.  This endorsement is necessary to drive specific types of school buses.  In order to apply for the “S” endorsement the driver must already have a passenger or “P” endorsement, or has applied for both the “S” and “P” endorsements simultaneously.  The NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL), Section 142 defines a school bus requiring the “S” endorsement as:

  • a school bus with the seating capacity for 16 or more (includes the driver) or
  • a school bus that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.

Drivers of coach buses that drive students to and from trips (but not to and from school and home) are not required to have the “S” endorsement.   School bus drivers (includes yellow school bus drivers) that drive children to and from camp only, do not have to have the “S” endorsement.   Also, school bus mechanics and drivers involved in the delivery of school buses without passengers are not required to have the “S” endorsement.


About Randolph Rosarion M.D.

Board Certified physician in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) Certified National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME) Certified Medical Review Officer (MRO) USCIS designated Civil Surgeon Certified Examiner of Divers (Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Society) FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner (AME)

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: