NYS CDL Drivers, Do You Need The New V Restriction?

If you have a medical condition that requires your Medical Examiner’s Certificate to specify that it needs to be accompanied by a Diabetic, Hearing, Vision, Seizure or an SPE (Skills Performance Evaluation) Certificate, then you will need the new V restriction or Variance Restriction.  The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will mail the Variance documents directly to DMV.  The DMV will not accept copies of the Variance directly from the drivers, and drivers do not need to include copies of the Variance with their Self Certification Letter or with their Medical Examiner’s Certificate.  Once the driver has received his Self Certification Letter, if he has a variance and it is not listed on his license he must go to DMV with his Medical Examiner’s Certificate to have his license amended as such.

Visit the NYS DMV website for more information.


About Randolph Rosarion M.D.

Board Certified physician in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) Certified National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME) Certified Medical Review Officer (MRO) USCIS designated Civil Surgeon Certified Examiner of Divers (Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Society) FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner (AME)

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: